Tooth whitening is one of the most regular cosmetic treatments. Most people experience tooth discoloration at some point in their life. It is not rare for the teeth to become dull and yellow as we get older. Drinking tea, coffee and wine can cause stains on the teeth. Smoking and eating foods containing food coloring can also be a reason for tooth discoloration. Even with regular brushing, the staining of the teeth cannot be prevented.
The whitening of the teeth is the best solution to overcome discoloration and stains. The treatment offers a way to get a sparkling beautiful smile. The whitening process is more effective, safe, and comfortable.
What are the merits of teeth whitening?
There are several merits of teeth whitening, such as:
- Professional tooth whitening is a totally non-invasive procedure and can be easily undergone at a dental clinic. The treatment takes about 30-45 minutes.
- The teeth whitening results will be more effective and long-lasting if it is done at a dental clinic.
- The procedure is perfectly safe and painless.
- Whiter teeth can make you look young, healthy, and smart.
- The whitening treatment can make the misaligned and imperfect teeth look perfect.
What are the different Teeth Whitening treatments?
- In-Office Teeth Whitening:This procedure takes about an hour to complete. The bleaching solution is much stronger than at-home kits, and a combination of heat and light is used to intensify the whitening process.
- Zoom Teeth Whitening:In this whitening process, the teeth become three to eight shades whiter to the natural teeth' previous shade. A desensitizing gel is used to ensure that the mouth does not react to the bleaching agents. A powerful bleaching agent is smeared on the teeth after covering the gums and soft tissues with cotton rolls. Then laser light is flashed on the teeth to speed up the whitening process. The results are fast, effective, and long-lasting.
- Take-Home Teeth Whitening:As the name suggests, these procedures can be done at home. This entire process takes about two weeks to show the whitening results. A dentist will fabricate a mold of your teeth so that the customized whitening trays will fit your mouth perfectly. The take-home teeth whitening can last up to two years.
- Tooth Whitening Toothpastes:These tubes of toothpaste are comparatively inexpensive to other teeth whitening methods. They also contain chemicals or polishing agents that help remove the stains from teeth.
What is the procedure for Teeth Whitening?
The teeth whitening procedure begins with a consultation with your dentist. Not everyone is fit for whitening, and especially if you have large fillings and crowns, bleaching is not advisable. The chemicals will bleach the natural teeth and not the restorations.
During the appointment, the dentist will insert a lip retractor into your mouth to keep the lips apart and easily access the teeth. A gel and a compound are used to protect the gums and prevent teeth sensitivity. A layer of the bleaching agent gel composed of hydrogen peroxide is applied to the front teeth. The hydrogen peroxide enters the teeth' porous outer layer and breaks the stain compounds using a chemical reaction called oxidation. This is followed up by applying a high-powered light that quickens the whitening process. The dentist will rinse off the gel and repeat the procedure multiple times. On completion, the teeth will be six to eight times brighter than the teeth' previous shade.
Call us at Beyond Expectation Dental or schedule an online appointment to know more about Teeth Whitening.